Tuesday, October 23, 2012

There once was a proposal...

I kinda jumped into our wedding blog with info about the date of the wedding, and the venue.  But really, I was just so excited about it, I was about to jump out of my skin if I didn't tell everyone about it.  It means that this is really happening.  That even if none of the other details come together, at the very least I will have a day and place for everyone to congregate and party.  What's better than knowing that those 2 details are done?

So, since we're all friends here, I know you can forgive me for not yet having told you about how our proposal went down.  It's pretty entertaining, really.  I think you'll laugh, and it'll give you a very good sense of who Ammon and I are.

It was a Friday night.  I don't remember which one.  I guess I could look back at my blog archives and figure it out, but it really doesn't matter.  I got off of work early, and was contemplating buying Ammon an engagement ring.   You see, we had decided to start planning the wedding, even though the proposal technically hadn't happened yet, and people were giving us a hard time about it.  So I figured if I got Ammon a ring, that counted, right?

Well, I decided against buying a ring, but a few hours later, as we were getting some TCBY (If you've been reading my other blog lately, you'll know that we have a thing for the stuff), I told him what I'd been thinking.  Ammon was so giddy about the whole idea.  He thought that was the funniest thing, and was sad I hadn't gone through with it.  I told him that I didn't care if it was a $30 ring from Wal-Mart, we just needed to get engaged and be done with it.  So what does the man do?

He demanded I pull over the car.  He took off his seatbelt, and he got down on one knee on the floorboard of the front seat.  That was my proposal.  In the car, on the way to get yogurt.  I did, in fact, say yes.  And right after we had our yogurt, we went to Wal-Mart and found the prettiest $48 ring in the case.



We told people for the longest time that it wouldn't be the actual engagement ring, or the actual proposal.  But when I think back on it, and when I consider how much I really "need" that expensive ring, this proposal fits us.  It's perfectly suited to who we are as a couple.  It is a symbol of love that we can actually afford, instead of one that would start our engagement in financial ruin.

So, that's the story of how Ammon proposed.  If you've been engaged, or are currently engaged, how did your proposal go?  Was it funny?  Silly?  Romantic?  Well-planned?  Spontaneous?  I want to hear all about it!

1 comment:

  1. I love it. And we just got the classic, inexpensive wedding band for my ring and saved for the first six months of our marriage to buy the wedding band I wanted - there was absolutely no point in going into debt to buy the ring when the store gladly put it on layaway for us and let us pay it off slowly in cash, without interest.

    ReplyDelete

We love your comments! They're like extra-thoughtful, free early wedding presents =)