Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Wedding planning commandments?

I never realized that when I agreed to start planning a wedding that I was simultaneously ascribing to a religion with a myriad of rules, regulations, and yes, even commandments.  Yet that is what seems to happen.  Any wedding website you find will constantly print articles with titles like "The 10 rules all brides must follow" "The 10 commandments of bridal registries".  And on, and on, and on.

Trying to follow all of these rules could give every bride a complex.  Especially because it seems like every single bride wants to be that elusive golden unicorn perfect bride.  You know the one... she radiates joy, she's in love, she gets everything that she wants, she's organized, thoughtful, and her wedding goes off without a hitch.  She's the girl we all want to be, but that we secretly hate when we think someone else has become.



As much as I read all of those rules, I don't like 98% of them.  I think they're snarky, and they make brides seem rude, ungrateful, and grouchy.  Let me tell you all... if every single person and their mother did not have an opinion about my wedding, I could ascribe to all of the dang rules and then some.  But when so-and-so decides to tell me that they think I should change my vision, because they think it would be "nicer", I just want to go all Incredible Hulk on their interfering selves.

There really is only one rule that I love.  And you can read it here.  All of the other ones can be thrown out this window.  This one just applies to life.  Don't ever let anybody dull your sparkle.  EVER.

1 comment:

  1. your wedding your rules. that's the way it should be. unless your mom is running the show, like mine did. then it's your wedding but her rules. nice.

    BUT, they did pay for it so i can't complain (much).

    if someone dulls your sparkle, send them over to me. i'll pound their mf-ing ass into the sand. =) just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete

We love your comments! They're like extra-thoughtful, free early wedding presents =)