Friday, April 12, 2013

A hint of Wildflowers

Wednesday night, Emily and I stepped out of our comfort zones to try something entirely new.  There had been a lot of discussions about wedding flowers, and it really annoys me how expensive they are.  Lo and behold, my mom sees an article about a floral shop about an hour away that teaches DIY bridal flower courses, and offers to sell you the flowers at a super-low rate.  SCORE!  Our flowers are simple, and it burned my biscuits that these florists wanted $150+ for a bridal bouquet.  Shoot.

So for $90 each, Emily and I went and spent 3 hours learning the fine art of wedding flower arrangements.  At the end of the night, we had made centerpieces and bridal bouquets.  We also learned how to professionally process flowers, so that they last much longer.

Finished bouquet

Completed centerpieces.

In all reality, the flower arrangements we created in class were beautiful, but not for my wedding.  We learned some fantastic techniques, like how to grid an arrangement, but we didn't work with a lot of materials that I had hoped to use in my own arrangements.  When I explained the look we are going for in my wedding, I told her I wanted Daisies, and a picnic type arrangement.  She told me that would be really hard, and that the end product would be a wildflower-type bouquet.

Which made me think of this fantastic YouTube video:


I love the wildflower look.  I think it's super fitting with the theme of my wedding.  And if it makes more work for Emily and I, so be it.  Nothing about my wedding thus far has been about taking "the easy road".  This is a wedding of details, and I love that.  So basically, I'm the dude yelling "Wildflower" at his dinner.  And I'm not sorry.

What were your wedding flowers like?

2 comments:

  1. The flowers for my wedding were all from my mom's garden except for the lilies which weren't in season but are one of my favourites.

    A family friend did all the bouquets and centre pieces for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria Nunn from CaliforniaMay 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM

    I love wildflowers and think they are absolutely appropriate for your wedding if that's what you want!
    My flowers were purple and orange Chrysanthemums (fall wedding), purple iris and some orange roses and other stuff mixed in and orchids for boutonnieres. They were made by a very close family friend and beautiful! We had Chrysanthemum plants in pots lining the walk to the arch as we had the wedding outside and then I took them home and planted my wedding flowers! It was beautiful. Blessings and Love on your wedding day and through out your life!
    I'm so sorry I will miss your wedding (we had a previous engagement that's been scheduled for 2 years).

    Love Maria Nunn and family

    ReplyDelete

We love your comments! They're like extra-thoughtful, free early wedding presents =)